Sonoma Ecology Center is a 27-year-old nonprofit with a mission to work with our community to identify and lead actions that achieve and sustain ecological health in Sonoma Valley. We are respected throughout the North Bay and beyond for our contributions to important initiatives in land, water, biodiversity, and climate.
Each year, we provide in-depth environmental science instruction to over 1,200 students, manage over 4,000 acres of public and private land including Sugarloaf Ridge State Park, raise thousands of native plants and restore critical native habitat, and provide research and technical support on timely issues affecting the region. We have over 20 professional staff and manage numerous large grants and contracts, often in partnership with other nonprofits and agencies that, by working together, significantly leverage our work and impact.
The Sonoma Ecology Center is seeking an Administrative Assistant to support functions of the Administrative office. We are looking for an individual who is efficient and comfortable being a member of a team. The ability to multi-task is essential in this position. The ideal candidate for this job is resourceful, a good problem solver and organized. Assuring a steady and timely completion of the workload is key to success in this position.
This is a new position for the organization. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Therefore, one must be flexible and open to change.
Part-time (24 hours per week)
Wage range: $18-$20 per hour
Essential Functions (including but not limited to):
- Answer, screen and transfer inbound phone calls
- Pick up mail and packages from the post office and distribute to employee mailboxes
- Manage and order office and facility supplies for the organization
- Manage facility requests and coordinate with facility maintenance person on projects
- Coordinate food/snacks for meetings (e., Board mtgs, Staff mtgs)
- General clerical duties including photocopying, fax, and mailing
- Implement a system and manage Admin files
- Schedule meetings, update calendars
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist bookkeeper in posting expenses in QuickBooks
- Assist Project Managers in the compilation of expense reports for timely submittal
- Assist Ops Director with financial grants management
- Bank deposits
- Other duties as assigned
- Assist with obtaining certificates of liability from the insurance company
- Assist with health insurance open enrollment process
- Assist with auto DMV background checks
- Update driver information
- Assist with new hire set up
- Assist with new hire/termination COBRA process
- Assist with New Hire packets
- Other duties as assigned
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree preferred
- One year previous experience in an administrative role, preferably in a nonprofit
- Highly organized with an attention to detail
- Multi-tasker & Problem Solver
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Pleasant Phone Manner
- Excellent written and communication skills
- Ability to manage complex situations and relationships with confidence, confidentiality, and tact
- Reliable and Punctual
- Team Player
- Able to multi-task and respond to immediate requests.
- Proficiency in Microsoft
- QuickBooks experience a plus
- Must have a current driver’s license and maintain personal auto insurance
Work Environment and Physical Demands
This job operates in an office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. One must be able to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend and stand as necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Please contact Human Resources for assistance.
After successful completion of the 90-day introductory period, full-time employees are offered the following:
Eligibility to enroll in one of two Kaiser Permanente health insurance plans, of which, SEC pays 60% of the employee’s premium (not that of dependents), paid holidays, vacation accrual, sick accrual, and the ability to enroll in a self-funded TIAA 403(B) account.
All qualified applicants will be given equal consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding, veteran, military status, genetic information, and marital status or familial status. Sonoma Ecology Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal access to programs, services, and employment is available to all persons. Those applicants requiring reasonable accommodations to the application and/or interview process should notify our Human Resources Department.
To apply: Please submit a resume or CV, cover letter, and a list of three references, preferably in one document to Celina Briggs, Human Resources Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write Admin Assistant in the subject line. No phone calls, please. For more information about the Sonoma Ecology Center, please visit www.sonomaecologycenter.org.